a. Historical Background
Originally, the Municipality of Dr. J.P. Rizal is a Barangay under the administrative jurisdiction of the Municipality of Quezon. Commonly known as Tarumpitao Point (used to be a US Coast Guard base – LORAN Station after the 2nd World War) it became a municipality when Batas Pambansa No. 386 was passed into law creating Marcos Town on April 14, 1983. It was renamed to Dr. Jose P. Rizal, to give tribute to our national hero, by virtue of Republic Act No. 6652 dated July 27, 1987 which lapses into law and become effective on April 17, 1988. Rizal is now a first Class municipality.
b. Location and Boundary
Approximately 203 Kilometers south of Puerto Princesa City, and Bounded by West Philippine Sea in the Northwest, Municipality of Brookes Point and Quezon in the east and Bataraza in the South.
Filipino or Tagalog is the commonly used language. Other major dialects spoken are ilonggo, Cebuano, Hiligaynon and Palaw’an.
The town is home to the world famous Taut Batu Tribe or the cave dwelling people, the Palaw’ans and other settlers from different regions of the country.
e. Population and Barangays
Rizal is politically subdivided into 11 Coastal Barangays. Total population is 50,096 (Phil. Statistics Authority Survey as of August 1, 2015).
Barangay – Population
• Bunog 2,868
• Campong Ulay 2,057
• Candawaga 5,771
• Canipaan 2,374
• Culasian 2,620
• Iraan 6,780
• Latud 2,156
• Panalingaan 4,556
• Punta Baja 10,594
• Ransang 4,983
• Taburi 5,337
In Rizal, like the rest of the province, is relatively dry from November to April and wet during the rest of the year. The driest month is March, and the rainiest months are September and October.
– Mineral Resources
Abundant mineral resources, both metallic and non-metallic are found in the municipality. Deposits include silica, shale, gold and gravel & sand.
– Water Resources
There are three (3) principal rivers run north of poblacion while another nine (9) run south. These are commonly utilized for irrigation purposes.
– Forest Resources
Of the total land area of 125,915.45 hectares, approximately 15,698.50 hectares or 12.5 percent are classified as Alienable and Disposable (A & D), while the remaining 110,216.05 hectares or 87.5 percent of which are timberland
Rizal is also blessed with a rich diversity of wild animals and plants. Some of the wildlife species found in the Mantalingahan Range are endemic only in Palawan.
h. Festivals and Events
– April 14-17, Municipal Founding Anniversary Celebration
– every 3rd Saturday of September, Arbor day
– Once every quarter/night of music and festivities every fullmoon, Damlag Festival & Coastal Clean-up drive
i. Points of Interest
– Singnapan Valley – A bowl-shaped valley with an area of about 176 has. of limestone type stone. It is the home of cave dwelling indigenous people known as Tau’t batu. Located in Barangay Ransang, it can be reached by approximately 5-7 hours hike from the national road.
– Waterfalls, a lot of it spreading throughout the municipality… the Mantayob Falls, Ilian Falls in Bunog, Madiplak Falls, Kinaruwayan Falls & Gamay Falls in Iraan, Turbong Falls in Punta Baja, Muslod Falls in Campung Ulay and Buar-Buar Falls in Ransang. There are still so many waterfalls throughout the municipality, and the Sumigay Falls in Bentat-karis, Iraan might be the Tallest waterfalls in Palawan.
– Mt. Mantalingahan – Mt. Mantalingahan Protected Landscape (MMPL) became a protected area by virtue of Presidential Proclamation No. 1815 signed on June 23, 2009. It covers a total land area of 120,457 hectares. the highest peak in the island and home of varied species of flora and fauna. It reaches up to 2,086 meters ASL. Can reach the peak in 2 ½ days trekking from the national road. Floral evidence suggests that there are at least 861 plant species. There are 169 species of vertebrates, comprising 35 species of mammals from 15 families and 31 genera, 90 birds and 34families and 73 genera, 30 reptiles in 8 families and 26 genera, and 14 amphibians in 5 families and 14 genera. Municipality of Rizal covers 60 % of the Total land area of the MMPL.
Green Lagoon in Culasian. Be mesmerized by the cool, crisp, clear water. Upstream is a nature made swimming pool and the 3star cave.
– Manggis Tree, the tallest tree in southeast Asia
– Double island and White Sand beaches along the coasts of Bgy. Punta Baja, Taburi, Latud & Canipaan
– Millennium Sunset View @ the Tarumpitao Point, Punta Baja.